Departing Wera Bay for Kilo 1 POB. ETA late afternoon.– CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)Sailboat Reboot (MMSI 366 958 630)411 Walnut Street #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443Reboot s Agent s Email: and phone Rebootagent@gmail.com (201) 925-2581Reboot Email (in port only) firstname.lastname@example.orgReboot Phone: +61 (0) 476 468 335 +1 (414) 326-9562Satellite Phone (870) 776-4111-46Web Site: www.sailboatreboot.comBlogging: blog.sailboatreboot.comReboot position http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/maps/PositionReportsDetail.aspx?callsign=W2ZDBHam Radio: W2ZDB via Maritime Mobile Service Net 14.300 MhzHam Radio Email: W2ZDB@winlink.org This email is sent from an infrequently monitored mailbox. It may take several days or weeks before REBOOT and I are in port where I can receive it. Should you have an immediate need please contact me via Reboot s agent.
At anchor in Weir Bay, Indonesia. All safe. Saw pictures of the hurricane hole in Tortilla, BVI. Lots of charter boats wrecked. My thoughts go out to all who have been hurt and wishing luck to those in the path. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
In Ciendeh Bay, Indonesia. Nice overnight stop from Rock and Maurole. With Althea, Chandara and Gambol. Gambol is in need of ATF for transmission. Intend Ruing tomorrow.Took trip to town in search of ATF. Last bit of harbor is a mud flat with all sorts of obstructions. Fortunately it was high tide – the only time one can make it to shore. After a futile search for ATF returned to boats. Even small tidal change resulted in tide rips across the mud flats.The town was small with a couple of shops. We visited both car (motor scooter) shops with no luck. We tried to buy a dozen eggs for Daisy U. Johnson but were only able to find six. The town has mostly dirt roads. Quite a bit of new construction was in evidence. The most remarkable thing was that every structure was fenced. The people were friendly without being aggressive.Summary: Good overnight stop, not much point in going ashore.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
This morning Reboot joined the parade to cross Wide Bay Bar. I took advantage of local knowledge and followed Chandara out. It was quite an experience. First, we (about 6 boats) had to fight the current from the incoming tide to get out to the bar. I wondered why we did not wait. As I turned onto the charted course for the bar Reboot started experiencing 8 foot rollers. Wind against tide would have been devastating. The reason for leaving just before high tide also became clear. The depth was oscillating with the waves. At the bottom I was seeing 8 feet, well below the charted depth. But wait, there s more. In addition to the knives…. About half way out I looked to starboard and noticed 12 to 16 foot breaking waves. Wow. My surfing friends need to see this place. I have the sails up in very light air and am ghosting along. If the wind does not pick up as forecast I will have to shake out the reefs in the main. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
Steve, Shawn and I are having lunch at the Tin Can Bay Yacht Club. This is just off the public dock where Chandara was tied while Steve got his hand fixed. Nice place, reasonable prices.We took the dinghies up to the Tin Can Bay Marina. A nice facility but not very welcoming to transients. I will go back up to buy fuel but that is it.Stevie has gone back to the dirt world for a while.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
Chandara at Tin Can Bay. We left Bundaberg and sailed the Great Sandy Straights. The entrance to this anchorage has shoaled in so we remain in the outer section with 20+ knot winds. Unlike last night Reboot is not current locked so at least we are swing bow to wind. Fair winds and following seas 🙂