Steering Woes

When crossing the Atlantic we lost our wheel steering. Investigation showed that the poorly engineered turning blocks had given way. After tightening the cables once again this morning and disassembling the steering pedestal we discovered that the turning block unit had failed again. We need to further disassemble the system to get to the broken part. Edison has apparently reengineered the part (at a cost of $400 US) so hopefully once we get the part and reassemble it it will last more than a couple of years. It is a shame that we did not see this in Vuda Point when we had it all apart. I think it is additional damage from the beating Reboot took in the thunderstorm. Oh well. At least we can steer with the autopilot. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/80p0UIk6KeM/steering-woes.html

Reduction of stress

It has been about 6 weeks since we lost the lower shrouds on the way to the Marquesas. First the 12 days of getting to a safe port. Then the knowledge we were making no progress in Hiva-Oa. The trip to Nuka-Hiva arriving to find that our temporary fix had almost failed. Days of swapping blueprints and photographs while negotiating with the riggers in the US. Then having the two boxes of rigging get separated on their trip to Nuka-Hiva. All of that I dealt with pretty much OK. What drove me crazy was the sound of the temporary shrouds stretching and loosening as Reboot rocked in the anchorage. Tonight is the first night that I will be able to sleep without listening and imagining the mast is going to come down any minute.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/boKK395_pUY/reduction-of-stress.html