Got up this morning. Forecast rain showers. Nice day. Sunny. Realised I needed to pick up my laundry. Took bus. Got laundry. Heavens opened. Got back to Reboot. Rain stopped. Sunny. Great fun. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
Every morning just at dawn (which here is about 4:30 AM) the birds start making noise. XO feels it incumbent on himself to wake me. Bummer.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
This morning Reboot joined the parade to cross Wide Bay Bar. I took advantage of local knowledge and followed Chandara out. It was quite an experience. First, we (about 6 boats) had to fight the current from the incoming tide to get out to the bar. I wondered why we did not wait. As I turned onto the charted course for the bar Reboot started experiencing 8 foot rollers. Wind against tide would have been devastating. The reason for leaving just before high tide also became clear. The depth was oscillating with the waves. At the bottom I was seeing 8 feet, well below the charted depth. But wait, there s more. In addition to the knives…. About half way out I looked to starboard and noticed 12 to 16 foot breaking waves. Wow. My surfing friends need to see this place. I have the sails up in very light air and am ghosting along. If the wind does not pick up as forecast I will have to shake out the reefs in the main. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
Each day we get some morning sun followed by overcast and rain. This is better than Vava a where we got rain all the time. At least the forecast is for this stationary mess to finally break up over the next couple of days.
If you have been following my blog you know that I replaced all of Reboot s standing rigging in the past couple of months. I used swageless terminals (Hi-Mod) and discovered that after a few days of sailing they need to be re-tightened. At least the first couple of times while they set. For 7 of the cables this is not a problem. The fittings are out in the open, easy to see and tighten. But the last fitting is the headstay. The turnbuckle and fitting are under the furler. After a week of 20 knot winds we finally got a morning of calm. We took advantage of it to disassemble the furler, check the headstay (which was tight) and put it all back together. We then got out the Loos and static tuned the entire rig We should be ready for our planned departure for North Tonga (Vava u) tomorrow. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
Woke up this morning to discover we had dragged again. Fortunately there is one mooring ball in the harbor and it was empty. We are now tied up to it. That is nice since our need for a full time anchor watch is diminished. This “ball” is sized for a commercial ship, about 10 feet in diameter. We think it will hold Reboot.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
What a day. This morning one of the crew was pumping the toilet into the holding tank. Pop. The holding tank fitting came loose and the tank emptied into the bilge. Hours of disassembly, cleaning, discovering additional problems (e.g. the mascerator pump has failed.) We don t know where to buy parts in American Samoa. It is Sunday so there is nothing open and no one to ask.With the entire pullman berth area open we decided to address the shower sump pump. We got it working after cleaning it but it is no longer strong enough to prime itself. Another part to find.We noticed that the bilge pump was running. Since we had been dumping salt water into the bilge to clean it this was not surprising. Until we realized that no water was coming out of the pump!What a day.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
Morning Dove I heard this morning that the Sailing Yacht Morning Dove (Bruce Moroney) was lost 200 miles (15 18 South 146 42 West near