Fiji – Land of 1,000 hazards

9 Sept:We left Savusavu yesterday morning on the way to Taveuni. That is, until we snagged a semi-submerged bottle and rope. This gave us great pause. We dropped the anchor (in the middle of the mooring field.) The next step was to avoid hitting any of the moored boats. At least not hard! We ended up next to Doug on Mango. A few lines and a few fenders and we were safe. Of course our anchor chain was wrapped around Mango s mooring line. Using the stern steps on Mango Al dove down and cleared the line. We motored out of the harbor only to pick up a lot of engine vibration. Since there are no repair facilitates in Savusavu we decided to skip Taveuni and head for Nadi where there are travel lifts etc.[Aside]For some beautiful pictures of Tavunei see Elizabeth s blog at http://etheislandenthusiast.com. We will miss standing on the 180th meridian.[/Aside]Watching the boats heading east as they rammed into the 5 foot waves, motors churning maybe we didn t miss so much.But you ask: “Why the
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/FYRscdGdjws/fiji-land-of-1000-hazards.html

10 Sept Sunset

We have been sitting at anchor waiting for the wind to die down. We are somewhat sheltered from the waves. This is a good thing as the wind has been peaking over 30 knots. That type of wind normally generates 10 ft or higher waves. Behind the island they are peaking at 4 feet. Not super uncomfortable but not great either. Since our next destination is upwind it would be a very ugly sail should we have set out this morning.Matt and I are sitting in the cockpit watching the sunset. We are in the middle of a frontal passage so it is quite pretty. The wind keeps tricking us. Just as we think it is going to moderate we get blasted with a strong set of gusts.We have had four visits from local Fijian fishermen today checking to make sure we are ok. It is a very nice feeling. The anchor has been holding and there really isn t anyplace to go. If we go into their small harbor we will be stuck and need to get towed back out. So this is not great but we are doing ok. Nice to know they are watchin
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/cl8gu_1HXpU/10-sept-sunset.html

12 Sept – Monday- 5 pm (local – UTC + 12)

We are still hiding out behind Yavua, Fiji waiting for the weather to clear. This morning we got rain. This is usually the sign that the weather will change. Fat chance. Apparently we have another night and then we might get a window to depart.Today the weather has been even weirder. The wind started to drop into the low teens. It has not been below 20 knots for three days. Then bam- a 33 knot gust followed by stained winds in the mid 20 s. The seas are also strange. We are behind the island so we get some protection. They still vary from periods of 2 foot waves to periods of 4 to 5. Sometimes on the nose (aligned with the wind, we are at anchor.) Sometimes on the beam.We had another rule 6 incident today. The marine mf/hf (ssb) radio stopped working a couple of days ago. Today it started working again for no apparent reason. We checked into the Pacific Seafarers Net so they know we are out here.Settling in for another night of gusts and rocking. Fair winds and following sea 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/U4h9YgKyVNg/12-sept-monday-5-pm-local-utc-12.html