Underway to New Caledonia (Oct 25 6:00 UTC)

A frustrating day. After making good progress the wind died today. Reboot has had winds of less than 6 knots for the last 8 hours. Fortunately she is light enough that we have still been making way. There was only one short period when I had to hand steer as the autopilot could not hold course. I had to alter course a bit to stay close hauled to build apparent wind. We are still heading (slowly) in the right general direction.I am about 100 nm from a decision point. I can turn north and head for port in New Caledonia. Or I can just continue on to Bundeburg, Australia. I don t have a strong need to make port. Hurricane season is fast approaching so I could only stay a couple of days. I might have mail (and possibly Matt) waiting but I would have to pay clearance fees. After my recent repairs my pockets are pretty empty. If the weather forecast continues for light air I will stop. If it fills back in I will continue to Australia directly.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/oR1qISOrQxg/underway-to-new-caledonia-oct-25-600-utc.html

Underway to New Caledonia (Oct 25 2000 utc)

It is early morning. I am in utc + 12. In other words it is 12 hours earlier in London. Half of my day is spent in tomorrow (take that, Anne) until midnight catches up. For my friends and family 3/4 of my day is their yesterday (and my troubles seem so far away.) An overcast morning. I just put up the full main. I always reef down at night in case I get a storm or the wind picks up. Trying to reef in the dark while half asleep is no fun as I learned on my maiden solo voyage to Newfoundland. The wind is still very light and I am being set by the waves. My heading is 220 T and my track is 250 T. The good news is the waves have moderated to about 1 foot. It is a very smooth ride. If the clouds burned off it would be a perfect day to take friends sailing. Sit around the cockpit, have a beer or two, and shoot the breeze while Reboot takes care of herself. I am still fence sitting about New Caledonia vs direct Australia. I still have a day to make the decision. The issue is food. I don t ne
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/PdD3ffelAnc/underway-to-new-caledonia-oct-25-2000.html

Off New Caledonia 26 Oct 1900 utc

@font-face{font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}I decided in the middle of the night to skip New Caledonia. These decisions always seem to happen at night. In the rain. With strong winds. And big seas. This time was no exception. Making landfall, or in this case getting close, always changes the weather. The land disrupts the wind and waves. The visual sight range from Reboot is 3 nm. The clouds over New Caledonia could be seen from 50 miles away. That is how the “iron men in wooden ships” found the islands in the past. I am still close enough to be affected but I can see blue skies ahead. I have about 800 nm to go to Bundeburg, Australia. Depending on the wind this is 7 to 10 days. I do have charts but no cruising guides. I will deal with that when I arrive. The good news is that I will miss 1 1/2 weeks of election coverage. It turns out that one of the most difficult products to find in the South Pacific is kitty litter. The vet in Fiji suggested I use chicken feed. Th
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/_FWCV-X7aes/off-new-caledonia-26-oct-1900-utc.html

Sea Mounts 30 Oct 1927 UTC

The South Pacific is littered with islands. I mentioned Fiji as the “land of 1,000 hazards”. But in the middle of the ocean? About half way between New Caledonia and Australia there is a sea mount that actually sticks above the surface. By definition a guess it is an island but it is so small its more like a rock. It is cleverly positioned on the direct route between New Caledonia and Bundeburg, Australia. Figures.Fair winds and following seas 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/4gi7DEF4BRc/sea-mounts-30-oct-1927-utc.html

Underway 1 November 0755 utc

Reboot is about 175 nm from Bundeburg. Yesterday the winds got light and we slowed down for about 12 hours. After sunset (of course) the wind freshened and shifted to the north. For a while we we going up wind. This was actually nice as the apparent wind shift gave us some more speed until the wind filled in. In the middle of the night XO retrieved a 12″ fish that had landed on the deck and brought it to me as a prize. It was still alive and filled the salon area with scales as it flopped around. One retrieved he lost interest so, still flopping, I consigned it overboard. Radio communications have been very poor. Apparently there is a magnetic storm. This has made getting weather charts and forecasts impossible. Fortunately I also have a satellite telephone. I keep my shore staff apprised of my position. They can notify me if I am heading into bad weather. The down side is it is very expensive. Only a couple of more days. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/BMKAc1_R578/underway-1-november-0755-utc.html

Underway 3 November 0438 utc

Just to the south of Bundeburg, Australia there is a peninsula that encloses a large bay. I have crossed over from the ocean into shallow (80 – 150 ft) depths. I am still 38 nm from Bundeburg and can not yet see land. I should arrive at the harbor entrance tonight. I will anchor nearby. It is rarely a good idea to enter a new harbor at night.Yesterday was a bear of a day. A front passed over Reboot. The wind clocked 270 degrees from north east to south east over an 18 hour period. We also had 30 knot winds, rain, and 8 foot seas. Far from a fun day. Frequent trimming and reefing was the agenda. The wind would pick up and then die and then pick up again. Reef down in high wind, reef up to keep underway in the calms. For about 12 hours there was no good route to my destination so I just tacked back and forth and lost 17 nm of progress. Eventually it passed through and I was underway again. So far the only really trying day of the trip. Fair winds and following seas 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/gmWuZxCjxVA/underway-3-november-0438-utc.html

12 Sept – Monday- 5 pm (local – UTC + 12)

We are still hiding out behind Yavua, Fiji waiting for the weather to clear. This morning we got rain. This is usually the sign that the weather will change. Fat chance. Apparently we have another night and then we might get a window to depart.Today the weather has been even weirder. The wind started to drop into the low teens. It has not been below 20 knots for three days. Then bam- a 33 knot gust followed by stained winds in the mid 20 s. The seas are also strange. We are behind the island so we get some protection. They still vary from periods of 2 foot waves to periods of 4 to 5. Sometimes on the nose (aligned with the wind, we are at anchor.) Sometimes on the beam.We had another rule 6 incident today. The marine mf/hf (ssb) radio stopped working a couple of days ago. Today it started working again for no apparent reason. We checked into the Pacific Seafarers Net so they know we are out here.Settling in for another night of gusts and rocking. Fair winds and following sea 🙂
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/U4h9YgKyVNg/12-sept-monday-5-pm-local-utc-12.html

//WL2K Norfolk to BVI Nov 21 (UTC)

We have made almost as much Easting as necessary and have turned our attention to heading South. This has shifted the winds and the waves from the bow (close reach) more to the stern. Although we are now going faster than before the ride is much more pleasant. It is a slightly overcast night. The moon is out so the stars are obscured. The water has turned to that beautiful blue color for which the Caribbean is known. The air temperture is about 80 F. We have been making about 95 miles per day toward our destination (we have been running at an angle to get East) and are now making good almost every mile directly to Virgin Gorda. We are 300 nm from the entrance to Virgin Gorda. We expect to get there in about 3 days. Fair winds and following seas 🙂 N 23 33 W 065 02 Virgin Gorda is at N 18 31 W 064 22
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SailboatRacing-Rebootusa60493/~3/bob20TsZT-M/wl2k-norfolk-to-bvi-nov-21-utc.html